Wednesday, December 5, 2012

experience in RWC

I've got to admit, my favorite part of the class was definitely tutoring. It was a bit of a rough start though; there were two or three sessions I went to in which I sat there for two hours doing nothing because no one had scheduled an appointment with me. I felt like everyone else was getting the experience except for me, and felt that perhaps I was falling behind. I wish there was a cut off time, and if no one had scheduled with you to that point, you wouldn't have to show up. I never had a walk in during my whole experience tutoring.

Once the tutoring actually started, I feel like I picked up on it pretty quickly. I learned how to speak to people, and how to present myself. Not as a final authority on a paper, but rather a test audience to read through the paper together. I noticed that students where a bit surprised by my simplistic approach, but that they were receptive to it.

My most challenging session was one with a student who was in the final stages of a very long and dense paper on Greek mythology, a topic I'm not too well versed in. The paper seemed to be alright, although did have some issues, but the main problem was that it was so long we could not get through even half of it. I felt bad, but had to stop our session when my other tutor walked in. Another challenge was a student writing about social work who didn't want to go over content, but instead wanted me to "make sure" that her paper was in proper AMA format, again something I knew very little about. In the process I noticed some major problems in the content and presentation of her paper, but she didn't want to deal with that. She wanted to stick to format, so we basically just read through Perdue Owl together. At least I learned a bit about that format.

No comments:

Post a Comment