Monday, December 3, 2012

Stressy Stress Stress Yes

The problem with having awesomesauce students is that there isn't really much to say. Most of them are pretty quiet, but I tend to get a few more vocal ones as I said earlier. So when it comes to the issue of tutoring, I've hit quite the writer's block. I thought I was going to get some interesting experience today, but in fact, today was rather chaotic and I had not one, but two walk-ins after a grad student made an hour long appointment, dropped, had an even more advanced level grad student replace her, and for him to cancel the appointment. I guess we're in that stressful time of year then, where decisions are made at the last minute and there is no turning back. The same goes for this class.

I asked Kendra the other day if we can put class/project related experiences in the blog and she said that yes, we could, since it helped contribute to the essence of the class.

I'm deeply invested in the art of tutoring and I'm interesting in knowing all about what makes FSU's writing center unique. I notice that every other week, it seems to expand. More opportunities are given at a wider range and I decided to make a newsletter. Overall, I had fun writing my articles and I had channeled my inner journalist, as I never had any experience with even the newspaper club in my high school, but my findings were pretty interesting.

For one, Dr. Wells is trying to make several different ways to have grad students tutor the grad students themselves. So that means that people like myself and Kati-Morgan below me won't have to worry about the questions they have for content in whichever thesis/dissertation they're in trouble with. However, like Kati-Morgan said, sometimes they book appointments with us for the purpose of grammar checking and to see if their sentences don't seem awkward, so common sense can really be utilized in these aspects.

The second finding in my project was that the tutor I had interviewed told me for his funny story was that he had these two guys walk in who asked him if he could help them use Photoshop to make counterfeit Two Chainz tickets.

I am not kidding. As you can imagine, I couldn't stop laughing for a while sometime. I mean, how can someone just walk in and do that? Do they go, "hey, I need tickets to go to this concert and I think I can get them done here." or some other scenario.

It's so funny doing this project, since I had managed to use three hours of tutoring up at the digital center while using InDesign, which was pretty tricky software. I think it was the trickiness of InDesign that made me crack, as the version they have in Williams Digital Studio isn't the same as the one in Stroizer or in Johnston, which brought some problems (mostly in printing) for me. I thought that overall this project was a great way to conclude this class, since I wanted to showcase my creativity (and using our crazy unicorn manatee mascot as the logo, which I love) and I realized that taking this class was indeed stressful, but if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

So what about you guys? Which project was the most fun you had in the class doing? Was it for your final? The narrative? The group project? Grammar file? Were they about as stressful to you as well? Are you just about as surprised as I am that someone tried to use our services for fake Two Chainz tickets? Any crazy/funny stories (like that hot chick Mayowa had)?


1 comment:

  1. No funny stories yet, although I do understand the stress build up. It's kind of stressful/refreshing to not know who is coming through the door next, be it super intense grad student or Two Chainz guy. I really wonder what happened, was he able to fake the tickets?

    ReplyDelete